Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I don't believe in coincidence, I believe in God {part 2}

My very good friend Ed asked me yesterday if I'd ever heard the saying "coincidence is an insult to God."?  I hadn't, but it makes perfect sense. 

“Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.”
Albert Einstein

This post is for you, Ed.  God knew exactly what He was doing when He put you in my life.  Thank you for all you do, the guidance you provide, the miles, and the friendship you show me!

God keeps showing up.  He's showing up in friendships, finances, marriage, my kids, and situations.  I'm at a point where I know I have responsibility, but I also believe so much in God' will.  Things happen for a reason.  Here's a great example of God showing up.

We've known for about a year and a half that Livia needs hearing aids.  Every natural history visit we made to the University of Minnesota, they did a test called an ABR (automated brainstem response).  This is the most accurate way of testing hearing, because it's done under anesthesia and they test her brainstem which is where the nerves are that react to sound.  Each visit, the test's results got a little worse.  Hearing aids will help keep her brain stimulated which will improve her quality of life.  I inquired a long time ago with our local audiologist about hearing aids and the cost.  I knew it was going to cost thousands of dollars and I was overwhelmed about this.  After the last visit to MN, I called the audiology dept again to try to get more info (maybe the cost had gone down).  I had to leave a message, and it turned into a phone tag type situation.  To be completely honest, it was me not being diligent returning the calls due to my hesitation about the cost.  Pretty selfish on my part.  The Friday after Livia's neurologist apt in Chicago, I decided to keep her home from school.  It was her last day, anyway, and she needed to catch up on sleep.  She did sleep in, and she ate a late breakfast.  During her breakfast, we were sitting at the table and the house was quiet.  She was so happy and so engaged with me.  We were talking, singing, and just being in the moment together.  All of a sudden, something came over me that I needed to just do everything I could to give her the best life possible.  I truly believe this was God telling me to just go with it, and He will provide.  Right then and there, I picked up the phone and called the audiology dept.  I got right through to the audiology office coordinator and explained who I was and that my daughter is Livia Hubert.  She said "oh yeah, I know you."  Really!  She explained that she was the one I was playing phone tag with, and that I had sent her an email with previous ABR results of Liv's.  In my signature of my emails I include our website and blog.  She had gone to the website and read up on my blog.  She knew about Livia's situation and enjoyed reading this blog.  I thanked her for taking the time to read.  I explained that I really needed to get the process started for hearing aids, and what do I need to do.

God showed up.

She said, "Well, you really couldn't have called at a better time.  One of the Dr.'s in our office is in the process of changing hear aid companies and she has one spot left in a trial, and the children that participate in this trial get FREE hearing aids."   NO WAY........I think my heart stopped for a moment and of course my jaw dropped.  I couldn't believe it.  I had hesitated so much in making that phone call.  Jake would gently remind me that I really needed to call.  He would ask me randomly if I'd ever made that connection with audiology.  I always came up with an excuse.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding; 
 in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

God is showing up and I'm gaining so much peace and strength from that.  I don't understand why Livia has such a terrible disorder, but God is showing up in her.  Having Livia has saved my life.  I pray for her healing all the time.  I want so bad to have a conversation with her.  I never ever want her to hurt.  This journey is going to be hard and sad, but because of her, I'm the one getting healed.  I'm LIVing life because of her, and it really is good.

2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing Kelly. God is good and he blessed you with Liv and He blessed Liv with such great parents. You both are so inspiring. I feel so lucky to know you and to see your strength and faith. We are always thinking of your family and we are praying for all of you. Sending love your way. Brook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!!! I listen for God now instead of shutting Him off. It IS that little voice that pops into your head, that fleeting moment when you know for sure what you need to do....

    ReplyDelete