Friday, June 3, 2011

Worse off than me?

All I've wanted to do this week is sleep. I've been very tired, and I've been successful with actually falling asleep. I've been able to sleep during the day when the girls rest, which is very unusual for me. Sleeping at night has not been a problem at all, and I'm ready to sleep at 8pm after a nap in the afternoon......which again is unusual since diagnosis. I'm thinking that this may be one of the many coping mechanisms that I have and will experience since Livia's diagnosis of a terminal disorder. Some of the other coping mechanisms that I can recognize are; running/exercising, not eating, art, eating in an unhealthy manner, sleep, no sleep, avoidance, and creating our foundation. Not all of these are bad, but some certainly are. We all have bad habits, right? I think I may be experiencing another stage of the "stages of grief." There are different models out there of what the stages of grief look like. One of the most common list's the stages of grief as 1. denial 2. anger 3. bargaining 4. depression 5. acceptance. When you experience grief, apparently you follow this list as your emotions of dealing with a loss/tragedy/significant life event/illness/etc come about. The ebb and flow of my emotions have caused me to experience some of this list at different times and not in order. I feel like my sleep induced stage this week has been a coping mechanism to anger. I'm not angry with my children, I'm angry about what we are going to have to face. Not that I'm thinking about Livia dying, even though that is the forefront of my thoughts, but angry about the decisions that we may have to one day make. I'm angry at the circumstances, financially, that this has and will continue to burden my family with. I'm angry that we, educated and well employed people, aren't able to find any kind of assistance out there for this financial burden that we are facing. Can someone just please but me a stink'n pack of diapers? PAUSE and BREATH.....sorry about that. I'm not looking for someone like you who is reading this to send me a pack of diapers. That's not what I'm getting at. I'm just angry that a family like mine who are good contributing members of this society can't receive any assistance just because my husband makes a good salary. We are struggling to. I'm angry that I still have to change diapers. I'm angry that my child crys at times and I don't know why. I'm angry that I'm going to have to tell her sister one day why she doesn't talk like her. I'm angry that I feel so alone. I could go on, but now I'm angry because I'm crying. UUUUGGGGHHHH.....I kinda got off on a rant, but I feel like this blog is another coping mechanism.
Side note......it does NOT make me feel better when someone tells me or mentions to me that someone out there has it worse off than me. REALLY???? I really do love facebook, but sometimes facebook can be my worse nightmare. Yes, there are people out there that have terrible situations. They may never see their child walk, hear their voice, only have their child for a year or maybe only a couple hours, someone may have more than one child with a terminal disease, someone may not be able to have children, maybe they themselves are facing something really scary. Does it matter? This doesn't make me feel better.......it makes me even more sad. I want to reach out to them, know them, try to help them in some way. I really don't like to hear that someone has it worse off than me. Maybe it's true, but who can measure that, and who can say who's situation is worse? I'm sure not going to walk up to someone and say "HI, my name is Kelly, I hear your situation is worse than mine, can we be friends? Someone thought by you having a terrible thing going on in your life would make me feel better about the terrible thing in my life." Now, with that being said, I do appreciate and find comfort meeting people that have experienced or are experiencing grief. I know, it sounds very strange, but I do. I'm comforted knowing that I'm not the only mom, wife, sister, friend, whatever, going through those stages of grief. It's hard enough being here alone (without family), as well as feeling alone in this world trying to manage everyday with a child facing a scary future. With all of this being said, I really don't like this stage of anger. I'm not an angry person, and I really don't like sleeping when the sun is out, and both of my girls hair sparkle in the sun. I'm thinking it's time to move on from this week, pick myself up, and know that everything is in HIS hands. I shouldn't complain to much. I have a husband that has a great job and who loves me to death, and two beautiful happy girls that are waiting to splash in our new pool. Bring on summer and bring on a new mood! Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment